Thursday, February 18, 2010

The History of BalloonsByMail.com


Often times we are asked how we came up with the idea for BalloonsByMail.com. It is a valid question… Who else would think of putting helium filled balloons in boxes?

The idea started when I was away at college. My mom and little brother’s birthdays (only one day apart) were coming up right around the time final papers, projects, and exams were due. I was too bogged down and didn’t have time to come home for a birthday visit. Bummed out that I wouldn’t be there I wanted to make sure they had a great day.

I headed off to the local party store and bought a boyish birthday balloon, a girlie birthday balloon, and an “I love you” balloon. On my way to the post office I stopped at the small retail shop I worked at to find a box big enough to fit my three balloons. Sure enough I found a beat up old box in the back that would fit the balloons just perfectly. In the parking lot of the post office I struggled to keep the balloons from flying away as I placed them in the box. Finally I taped the box closed and took it inside to send on its way. I am pretty sure the lady behind the counter was confused as to what I was sending because the box didn’t weigh much at all, but she took my money and I was on my way.

Two days later my mom called to tell me how much they loved their balloons. About two months after that she called again to tell me she wanted to market this idea of balloons being sent in boxes. She thought it was such a great gift and exclaimed, “Everyone should have the chance to send it!” A few more months passed that involved lots of research on opening a business, creating a website, and picking out a variety of gifts and balloons. In October 2005, BalloonsByMail.com was launched.

Over the last four and half years we have added three more employees and thousands of new items. Today we love to see the loved passed on through balloons and are always excited to hear back from the happy customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment